If you are purchasing new home automation hardware for use with Shion, we highly recommend that you purchase INSTEON hardware whenever possible. While X10 is cheaper overall, INSTEON devices use more recent technology and are more robust and fully featured. You can use X10 devices with an INSTEON controller, but not vice versa.
In our testing and development, we have found that Shion works best with the PowerLinc 2413 INSTEON controller when used with two or more INSTEON access points for improving the robustness of the local network.
Shion.app supports the following controllers natively, without the need for additional software:
- PowerLinc 2414 USB INSTEON Controller (Amazon.com)
- CM15A USB X10 controller (The Home Automation Store)
- CM11A Serial X10 Controller (Smarthome.com)
- PowerLinc 2412 Serial INSTEON controller (Currently Unavailable)
- PowerLinc 2413 Serial INSTEON controller (Smarthome.com)
The following controllers require an additional software download to work with Shion.app:
- PowerLinc 2412 USB INSTEON controller (Currently Unavailable)
- PowerLinc 2413 USB INSTEON controller (Smarthome.com)
(See the Getting Started page for installation details.)
Shion.app supports all X10 and INSTEON lamp and appliance modules, including these:
In addition to home automation modules, Shion.app can also use a Mac’s built-in iSight or other camera to keep a photo log of a given area. Furthermore, Shion.app is able to use built-in and external Apple modems to record incoming phone calls and the associated CallerID details.
Shion.app’s support for other device modules and controllers is constantly expanding and we’re eager to hear from you regarding which new devices should be on the top of our priority list. To register a request, please send us an e-mail (email@example.com).